Small Group Classes
Our classes are designed for all levels of experience. Students taking this class will learn a variety of metalsmithing techniques to create original finished jewelry of their own design.
Small Group classes are 3 hours long and offered Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in the morning, afternoon and evening, and on Friday morning. Sessions are 6 weeks long. Classes are taught by Jay Whaley. Beginners thru advanced students are welcomed.
Students will get familiar with alloying and melting metal, making an ingot, annealing, using a rolling mill, forming, soldering with single and multi-fuel torches, rolling out custom wire and sheet stock, pattern making, sawing, filing, texturing and finishing techniques. Precision model making for lost wax casting and in-studio vacuum and centrifugal casting can be explored. Vulcanized and room temperature molds can also be made for replication casting and limited editions.
Most work is created in silver and gold, but are not limited to those metals.
Gemstones of all sizes and shapes can also be brought in and incorporated into the jewelry being made. Custom bezels and mountings can be made in class.
All necessary tools and equipment, with the exception of face masks, are provided for student use. Supplies such as silver, solder, other materials and incidentals can be purchased from the studio during class time. Students must provide their own face mask to be worn in the studio all times. NO exceptions.
These classes typically fill up. Space is limited to 6 students per class each session. No credits, refunds, or make-ups will be issued in lieu of a missed class. Sorry, no exceptions.
Cost is $350 per session.
Small Group Class Times (choose one):
* Monday – 9:00 am to noon, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
* Tuesday – 9:00 am to noon, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
* Wednesday – 9:00 am to noon, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
* Thursday – 9:00 am to noon, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
* Friday – 9:00 am to noon
Please contact us via email or call 619-299-9619 to register for a class and/or if you have questions. We have spaces available!! Looking forward to speaking with you!
Small Group Classes
Class size limited to six students. Personalized instruction in a three-hour block.
Class Sessions for 2020 are scheduled as follows:
MON July 27 – Aug 31
TUE July 28 – Sept 1
WED July 29 – Sept 2
THUR July 30 – Sept 3
FRI July 31 – Sept 4
(Break: September 7 – 11)
MON Sept 14 – Oct 19
TUE Sept 15 – Oct 20
WED Sept 16 – Oct 21
THUR Sept 17 – Oct 22
FRI Sept 18 – Oct 23
(Break: Oct 26 – Oct 30)
MON Nov 2 – Dec 14
TUE Nov 3 – Dec 15
WED Nov 4 – Dec 16
THUR Nov 5 – Dec 17
FRI Nov 6 – Dec 18
(Break: November 23 – 27)
To Register for a Class Offline, Check Availability, and/or Have Questions:
Please contact us at 619-299-9619 or contact us online. We look forward to hearing from you! Thank You!
There is metered street parking. There is also a paid parking lot on the corner of 6th and Robinson. Free parking is located a couple of blocks away from our studio beginning at Pennsylvania or 3rd Avenue. Street parking is free on Sundays.
Cancellations and Refunds
- A full refund will be issued to students if we are notified within 7 days before the start of the session. Please, no exceptions. Students may opt to receive a full studio credit in lieu of a refund.
- No credits, refunds or make-ups will be issued in lieu of a missed class or cancellations due to Covid-19. Please, no exceptions. Make-up classes MAY be scheduled at the discretion of the studio and are not guaranteed.
- If students miss class due to serious illness, please contact the studio.